You may not recognize the Kinon name, but you definitely recognize their finishes. You may have seen them at the Aria Hotel Casino or in a Louis Vuitton store. Kinon is America’s foremost supplier of premier surfaces for interior applications on areas as varied as elevators, hotel lobbies, spas & bathrooms, bedrooms, and manufacturing facilities. Chances are you have been impressed by the unique patterns and materials used in the luxurious walls and furniture where Kinon was used. They also do tiling, fabrication, and finished goods.
We recently completed an extensive 5-month project to build out Kinon.com. Their new website features over 250 products, a highly specialized search / filter system, and tons of custom features to support their online business.
The existing site was cumbersome and failing to meet growing needs of the company and their users. The new website had to be visually appealing with a high-end, design forward aesthetic. The site had to serve users a full eCommerce experience and make ordering any item easy and fast. The new website had to give users the ability to find and request samples and to place orders.
Some other key needs included:
Eliminating piracy of patterns by competitors.
Making sure the site is editable by Kinon personnel.
Making sure only logged in users can access certain content.
Serving the needs of installers, manufacturers, designers, and end consumers in equal fashion.
Showcasing a new division of finished goods and custom work.
The website had to make it possible for designers to spec out Kinon Surfaces within their plans and presentations for creating the most high end, luxurious brand experiences in the world.
The website looks and functions immaculately. The Kinon brand looks as good online as it does on the decors their luxury brand customers produce.
Notice U Marketing’s graphics team thoroughly refined the look of the website from home page to product pages before the wire frames were started. This allowed our team and the client to work out user experiences and interfaces well ahead of design.
The total project required over 200 development hours and 30 graphic design hours with 7 team members working feverishly to develop, test, break, fix, and finalize the website.
With hundreds of variants in color, patterns, feel and materials it became a major need to have a custom filter system whereby users could search for specific patterns, colors, or search a selection of products based on tone or by design aesthetic. This tool alone took nearly 100 hours to develop.
Today the site contains over 250 products that show patterns, spec sheets, accessories, and more — all easy to find.
We built the site with Search Optimization in mind. It is constructed so patterns and products start to rank in search. Prior to the website build products were unintentionally hidden from Google. By adding content and modifying product presentation Google can now find them.
We created an enriched website that features:
- Custom customer account system that allows them to access restricted areas on the website and download material restricted to the general public
- Custom product search functionality
- Online forum that includes helpful technical information
- Fully custom-built WordPress theme with every aspect built to client specifics
- Custom plugins to control server caching of webpages
- Online store with over 250 products
- Custom product page templates that control the display of each product page. Each category of products has a different page layout and product specific content
- User approval functionality where the administrator controls new users
- Additional user registration fields to collect unique information upon user account creation
- Speed optimization is built into the theme from the ground up
- SEO optimization is built into the theme
- Connectivity to a content delivery network built to increase speed